Jürmala

Riga and Surroundings: Looking up, The Angry Lady and Some Peace and Quiet

With 700.000 inhabitants, Riga is not only the biggest city of Latvia, but also of the three Baltic countries. Its historical center belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage List, because of all its Art Nouveau/Jugendstil architecture. The best thing to do while walking around in the city is to … look up and admire the details!

Don’t forget to visit the Dome Square, Riga’s largest square with the best restaurants and bars of town.

And explore the streets around the Dome Square… You never know what you may stumble upon.

Like this beautiful cathedral…

Want to see something completely different in Riga? Go to the Central Market and experience everyday Latvian life. According to the tourist information office of Riga,

The Central Market is one of the largest and oldest in Europe with five food pavilions located inside vast converted Zeppelin hangars. Around and between them, stalls sell everything from clothes to flowers (…).

We were not sure if we were supposed to ask permission to take pictures here, but one of the female owners of the stall did not like it at all!

Afterwards, Ingrid and I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle – and the heat – in Riga. So, we first went to the coast, to a place called Jürmala, which has a white sandy beach of 33 (!) kilometers long.

Next stop, the parish of Zemite. We stopped here, because the landscape was simply so pretty.

What about Irlava and its Penki Health Spring? According to the tourist information office of Riga:

The clear water of the Penki Health Spring has high concentration of iron; lime sediments and iron salts are deposited in it, thus the water is nor particularly tasty, but it has been still used for healing purposes since ancient times.

Note: the spring is also used as the local swimming pool.

And the best was yet to come …

• unclerave November 22, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Beautiful, Viking! Latvia is a place I never gave much thought to. Tell Kitten; Great photos! . . . as always. — YUR

• larsj December 3, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Kitten says “Thank you”!

• gpcox November 23, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Outstanding photography! Always a pleasure to see a new post from you two!!

• larsj December 3, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Thank you! Ingrid will be happy; she is the photographer.

• Snoskred November 24, 2014 at 8:22 am

Hey there, I found you via the NaBloPoMo blogroll.

As part of NaBloPoMo I try to comment on as many participating blogs as I can, and I am also adding participating blogs to my feed reader. So I’m just dropping by to let you know I’ve added your blog to my feedreader, whenever you publish a post I will see it. 🙂

I have created three bundles on Inoreader so that bloggers can easily visit other participating NaBloPoMo bloggers which you can find here –

I also have a link up going at my place so my readers can find participating blogs which you are more than welcome to add your blog link to.

Looking forward to seeing your posts. You may see me drop by again during November, but it might be December before I finish my first drop by to blogs if I don’t get faster at leaving comments. 🙂

Happy NaBloPoMo to you!
    Snoskred

• travelingmind2anywhere November 26, 2014 at 4:54 am

One of the best faces of europe.

thanks for sharing!

• larsj December 3, 2014 at 3:16 pm

You’re welcome!

• restlessjo November 26, 2014 at 11:18 pm

It does look a very attractive city and it’s sort of on my list. 🙂 Not in Winter though! Excellent post 🙂

• larsj December 3, 2014 at 3:14 pm