The Other Antwerp – The MAS

Once you find yourself at ‘t Eilandje, it’s hard to ignore the MAS.

MAS stands for Museum Aan de Stroom, literally: Museum At the River. But this is more than a museum; it is also a monument, there is a restaurant, a pub, a shop, … In short: it is a meeting place. The museum itself tells the story of Antwerp and its harbor from different points of view: political, historical, cultural, … Take at least half a day when you visit it.

The building itself is simply stunning, with its combination of Indian red stone and glass. Thanks to this modern design, the MAS has already been considered to be one of the most beautiful museums of the world.

Want to know more? Check out the website: www.mas.be!

• FoundTravel December 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I loved visiting this space – can’t believe that was already a couple of years ago. I think I need to go back 🙂

• LeeN December 17, 2013 at 12:22 pm

The MAS opened its doors for the public in 2011 – so your visit must must have taken place at least 3 years ago :-). The building and its surroundings have shifted the focus on this city in the mean time: whereas visitors tended to go to the “south” of the city (shops! museum of fine arts!), they now come “en masse” to the “north” of the city (MAS! Park Spoor Noord!). Of course, it also “helped” that the museum of fine arts is closed now for some years due to refurbishing and renovation works.
      … never a dull moment in Antwerp…

• fgh47 December 18, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Look at LeeN’s posting below. I can’t say it better

• fgh47 December 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Yes do that. And look at the next posting. There has been a cronological problem

• William A Andrews December 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It looks like something right out of Minecraft! Do you know when it was built?

• LeeN December 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm

In Antwerp, it’s more compared to a “lego building” 🙂 – the first plans for this building were constructed in 1999, already 12 years later (…Belgian time…) it opened its doors (see also http://www.mas.be/Museum_MAS_EN).
      Major issue was, as always, the fund raising: public money as well as private investments and sponsorships by “the greater public” needed to be assembled. You could “buy” a small “silver” hand on the wall: by doing so, you sponsored the building of the museum and your name would be mentioned on the list of sponsors in the artbook concerning the museum.
      A hand is symbol for the city of Antwerp (Antwerpen), the name of which, according to folklore, is derived from “handwerpen” (leave away the “h” and you get the name of the city). “Handwerpen” means “to cast away a hand”, and there is a whole legend to it, of course, which you can (amongst others) find on http://www.antwerp-tourist-guide.com/Brabo.html.

• William A Andrews December 17, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Someday I hope to get back to Europe. I’ve only been to Bavaria outside of Frankfurt and it was pretty awesome. How many languages do you speak anyway?

• fgh47 December 18, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Than you for your explanations. And enjoy your Antwerpen

• Peter S December 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

Or something from the game ‘Sim City’. The varying color of the brick helps to break up what would otherwise be a bland wall of red, and the upward steps of the glass helps to move the eye up and around the building.

• fgh47 December 18, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Thank you for you input and explanation of the architectury

• LeeN December 18, 2013 at 9:16 am

@William: How many languages I speak: Dutch (mothertongue), French (2nd language for me), English, German, Danish (and because of that, I understand but do not speak Swedish and Norwegian), and I can help myself out in Hungarian, but won’t boast too much of my knowledge of this literally unfamiliar language).

• fgh47 December 18, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Languages are my big passion too. When I studied German at the university, we had language history. I always looked very much forward to these lessons