The Other Antwerp – Introduction

Antwerp. One of the biggest cities in Belgium. Known by tourists and locals for its diamonds, fashion, shopping, historical buildings, museums, and so on. Maybe you have even visited its zoo or done some grocery shopping in one of the Chinese supermarkets. And finally, perhaps you have read somewhere that its train station is one of the most beautiful in the world.

But that’s what we are not going to show you!

Lars and I have two very dear friends living in Antwerp and we asked them to show us the lesser known places during one weekend. After a lot of walking and driving around, we have come back with hundreds of pictures and lots of stories.

Here are some pictures to whet your appetite!

• Colline December 12, 2013 at 1:29 pm

The first shot is interesting.

• fgh47 December 12, 2013 at 5:25 pm

It is a funny idea. Do you know “Gaston un gaffeur sachant gaffer”, there is a stripe with exactly the same theme. I hope, the title is right

• Kathryn December 17, 2013 at 5:30 am

Looks like a grand place. Are you doing HDR shots? The intensity of some of these really makes me curious. But they’re wonderful, no matter how you’re accomplishing such beautiful work!

• fgh47 December 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Yes, we use HDR. You have to have something interesting to shoot, but you are right, it makes a difference

• gpcox December 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Sorry I had so much catching up to do – ’tis the season and lack of computer time I’m afraid. But, I DO love your photos and showing me sights I know I’d never get to see otherwise.

• fgh47 December 19, 2013 at 5:40 pm

We are happy, you like our pictures. And we know, it can be difficult to do all, you have planned. It is good for us to know, somebody is out there, who follows, what we do in our spare time.. We will make an excursion on Saturday to Germany, and we go back to Germany, to the Harz, which is placed more in the north of the country. Germany’s most to the north mountains with an altitude of up to 1150 metres. It will be in the week between Christmas and New Year. We hope for some snow and sun, and we will take the steam train to the highest peak called der Brocken. It was inaccessible during the cold war, because the East Germans used it to hear the signals from the West. It is just to the east of the former border. I have been there in summer, so now I am thrilled to see it at winter times.

• gpcox December 20, 2013 at 11:28 am

Sounds like an OUTSTANDING holiday season planned – I’m jealous.