The Spectacular Road

Realizing a dream feels cool. Realizing a dream you have been talking about for more than three years feels great. And if that dream happens to be driving on the Transfăgărășan… there are simply now words to describe this! But what exactly is this Transfăgărășan? This is the second-highest road in Romania, about 90 kilometers long in some of the tallest parts of the Carpathians. This is how it looks like on a map.

Now, a lot of travel books and even Wikipedia will advise you to drive on this road from north to south. We tend to disagree.  But decide for yourself. This is how we experienced our adventure.

Lars and I started in Curtea de Argeș. We didn’t visit the town itself, but only chose it as our starting point. And then it gets very easy; you just follow the National Road 7C to the north. There is only one main road, so you can’t be mistaken.

In the beginning, you will see lots of cozy villages. Slowly the road starts to climb and you can see the first peaks. When you stop to take pictures, you will often be approached by Romanians who want you to take their picture. Because for them, this road is quite an experience as well.

You climb further and further and for many kilometers, you will see a beautiful lake, called Vidraru. The contrast between the green of the trees and the blue of the water is really stunning. You also see more and more people having a picnic or camping. And 15 minutes later, the thrill is gone… You keep on driving and driving and seeing trees and … trees. Is this what the Transfăgărășan is all about? No, because the best is yet to come!

It all changes when you reach an altitude of about 1000 meters. The landscape becomes different, because the vegetation starts to disappear. Temperatures start to drop and there is a lot more wind. And the road changes as well. There are tunnels, viaducts, steep hairpin turns, long S-curves, and sharp descents. Or in other words: 90 kilometer of pure adrenaline! (source: Wikipedia).

The top is about 2000 meters high. About from stunning panoramas, we also saw this.

• B September 24, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I love that last one! The road looks just like a whole stack of spaghetti.

• fgh47 September 24, 2013 at 4:54 pm

It is as spectular as the alps. Maybe the alps are a bit more dramatic in the places that go up to an altitude of a couple of hundreds metres higher. But the Transfagarasan is surely worth a visit. And people with severe vertigo, should think once more, before the go this way. For us with only some vertigo and those totally without, will have a trip,they will remember for the rest of their lives.

• GoldyGal September 24, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Glad you enjoyed our beautiful country ! 😀

• fgh47 September 24, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I was in Romania the first time in 2006, and I was interested from the first moment. You have surely come to the “wild East”. With “traders” of foreign money, and they did cheat me, even if I managed to get some of the money, they had got from me, back. But this was the only event of cheating, we met. We met very sweet and lovely people, and in one hotel I have been 5 to 7 times. Very agreeable, both the people and the hotel, which was among low mountains and woods. I am certainly coming back, and there is still a lot of things, we haven’t seen yet. People warned us not to go to Romania, but we will do it, also because the roads have become better. In 2006 they weren’t the best, and there still are some bad ones. But it seems, things are going better all the time

• GoldyGal September 24, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Actually , most of the roads are bad. But the mother nature here, is amazing, trust me. Transfagarasan and Transalpina are breath taking, yes, but there’s a lot more to blow you of your feet. Before your return here, contact me, I’ll make a list of places you should visit and maybe help with the accomodation. As for the people, yeah, they may cheat, they may turn their back on you or even say bad things, but this is something generic, happening everywhere around the world, not a ‘romanian tradition’. I’ve been too places and some made me miss the honesty in my people.’Cause they may be all sorts of things, but they speak the truth in your face.. and that’s something hard to get..
        I hope this reputation Romania has right now, will change some day.
        Anyway, glad you enjoyed it and hope you’ll be back ! Have a wonderful week

• fgh47 September 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I know, you can’t accuse a whole nation to be cheaters or other kinds of bad things.I have mainly been met with an extraordinary friendliness in Romania, which you can’t say about all countries in Europa. But people make sterotypes on other countries, and suddenly “all Romanians” are cheaters and robbers or beggars. There are beggars here too, I don’t know, which country they are from. But no matter where you live, you have a right to dignity and be able to work and have a decent life

• GoldyGal September 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Indeed. The problem with Romania is that other countries, that come across gypsies automatically combine us together in their heads, as if gypsies are from Romania. This situation giving us a bad reputation all over the world. The real truth is that gypsies are everywhere. It may be a fact that there are more gypsies registered in Romania than in other countries, but they are NOT us.

• freebutfun September 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Stunning!!!

• fgh47 September 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm

🙂

• Dana S. Hugh September 24, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Did you rent a car or you guys are traveling with yours?
    I’m very content you made this visit and you didn’t pay attention to others.
    Now..I’m wating for your next impressions 🙂 All the best!

• fgh47 September 24, 2013 at 7:46 pm

We used our own car. That means, we drove all the way from Belgium to the places, and then we went to see things, excursions almost every day, and then back. But it was filled with good experiences. We didn’t book all the hotels in advance, and it made it even more interesting, because we didn’t know, where we were going to spend the next night. In Croatia and Bosnia i Herzegowina We had no problems with finding an accomodation. A lot of small hotels along the road and they were mostly for very reasonable prices.

• Peter S September 25, 2013 at 1:48 am

Looks like an exciting drive!

The UK car series, Top Gear, had an episode on that road. I think they drove Lamborginis !

• fgh47 September 25, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I would believe, they are Romanians, if they don’t go under 120 kmh even on the most dangerous serpentines. And at least the double, if the road is not too bumby

• Kirsten Joelle September 25, 2013 at 2:37 am

Wow amazing pictures! Just found your blog and I’m excited to read more 🙂

• fgh47 September 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Welcome to our blog. I hope, you will like it, and please check out the different buttons, where you can read about us and our projects. Both from earlier years and about what we plan to do in the future. We have some themes, out of which we plan the routes, we follow. Some times we improvise and some times we plan and book hotels from home. We are tending to improvise, but if we want to stay for a longer time, we will still book from home.

• David Klinke January 15, 2017 at 6:50 am

You guys are living the dream! — YUR

• Moon January 21, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Beautiful nature photos!

• Rupali January 21, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Looks great!

• David Klinke March 20, 2017 at 2:33 am

Spectacular! — YUR

• J.D. Riso March 25, 2017 at 5:37 pm

I have traveled this road and it is indeed spectacular. Awesome photos.

• Ingrid D. March 29, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Thanks! It was an awesome experience!

by Bliss Drive Review