The Belgian Beer Weekend

The center of Brussels changes quickly. It was less than a month ago when the Grand’Place was filled with trees and flowers. This past weekend it was all about beer.

As I told you yesterday, the whole Grand’Place was taken over by stands of 50 brewers; you could taste more than 350 beers. It was difficult to make a choice, but Lars and I first went to the stand of Super des Fanges, a beer which is very popular in the Ardennes, but which is quite difficult to find in Brussels. I went for the brown one, since I am not fond of blond beers; Lars tried the scotch.

Afterwards, it was time for some trappist beer! A blond Chimay for Lars, and a brown Westmalle for me. The Brussels Wall Street, where the Stock Exchange is located, was turned into a “Beer Street”, with a bar of 50 meters long! I will publish a couple of pictures here, all the other photographs concerning the Belgian Beer Weekend and Lars’s Birthday can be found on our Facebook page!

• GalOnTrip September 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm

do they celebrate weekend beer fest every year? cause i remember coming to the same event some years ago and paying the beer with the bottle caps in exchange for euro coins. as i brought a large sac à dos, they searched on it, being afraid i was stealing the glasses. it makes sense cause the beer glasses had very nice designs and tempting enough to steal. i love that fest a lot!

• fgh47 September 11, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I must admit that I don’t know. It is the first time, I see it in the years, I have lived here.. But it really is a special experience

• stancatobailey September 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Good Story, I have to get there some day. I love the brown ales, photos show a grand time for all. Libations to Travel!

• fgh47 September 11, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Yes, brown beer is good. But I like the blonds too. With a slightly bitter taste. I am also a great lover of German beer, which is very different, but they are bitter as well, and that is, what I like

• George Hardwick September 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Looks like some delicious beers. It would be really cool to get drunk in an older style atmosphere like that to take a person back in time. Nice post!

• fgh47 September 11, 2013 at 12:55 pm

The beers are delicious. And it certainly doesn’t make it worse to drink it in a beautiful place like the centre of Bruxelles

• Peter S September 9, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Chimay and Orval are my favorite beers ! When possible, I try to find a Belgian Lambic too.

• fgh47 September 11, 2013 at 12:57 pm

They are all good. Where are you from? I think, the most famous Belgian beers can be bought in most of Europa

• Peter S September 11, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I’m in New Hampshire, USA. It is getting much easier to find Belgian beers here than it was a few years ago. There are a number of specialized shops that sell beer and wine from all over the world. There are some good American beers as well, but the quality of US made beers varies greatly.

• LaVagabonde September 10, 2013 at 9:44 am

Belgian beer is the best. 🙂

• fgh47 September 11, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Yes, it is. But it has competition from other European beer countries. Germany and the Czech Republich for instance. They all suit into different occasions

• Grace September 10, 2013 at 9:49 am

This would be a great event for my husband. Thanks for sharing!

• fgh47 September 11, 2013 at 1:02 pm

You are welcome. Don’t you drink beer yourself? I am sure, you can find one beer here, which will be to your likings

• Grace September 12, 2013 at 7:01 am

I do, but not as much as he does. I’m starting to like it more and more though. 🙂

• freebutfun September 10, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Belgium and Beer 🙂

• fgh47 September 11, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Yes. But also Belgium and a lot of other things too. Belgium has a lot to offer

• freebutfun September 11, 2013 at 7:05 pm

True. I especially liked Ghent, there wasn’t a whole lot to see but the atmosphere was great, people fun and loads of lovely restaurants. And the beer was good 😉

• Aristotle Koskinas, Greek Tourist Guide September 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

Wish I were there – ehm, for research of course 😉

• fgh47 September 12, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Beer research is one of the best occupations, you can have. Beer is healthy when drunk in reasonable quantities. And it sure lightens you up, if you are in a sad mood, but not only. People in good mood will enjoy drinking beer too. You can drink beer because of the alcohol, and you can do it for the taste. I like a mixture of these two, because a little alcohol improves the taste

• fgh47 September 25, 2013 at 4:39 pm

The beer celebration is only for a short time. But you can always take a beer in the numerous and cosy and a bit expensive pubs, bars and restaurants in the centre of the city

• gpcox September 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm

NOW, YOU’RE TALKIN’!!

• fgh47 September 12, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Good. I presume, you mean the beer tasting. You should come here, if you don’t live too far away. Even without beer market there are a lot of places to drop in for a beer in the centre of Brussel

• gpcox September 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Wish I could, sitting in Florida on a budget.

• fgh47 September 13, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I see your problem. It is expensive to cross half of the planet just for a beer. But in case you should come, there are other things to see. And in different countries, which mostly aren’t that distant from each other.

• Bronwyn September 23, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Travelling to Belgium next year in May – doing our own cycle, boat and beer tour! Do you know of any beer fests that happen in May there? Or some good breweries we can visit? We do like the blonde ales, and the weiss beers are pretty good too.

• Ingrid D. September 25, 2013 at 5:20 pm

The problem is that there are more than 1200 beers and almost every town has a brewery. We know more or less the breweries in and around Brussels (as Lars says in his comment) and some of the breweries that make the famous “trappist”. If you do come to Brussels, we can help you out with some information.

• fgh47 September 25, 2013 at 4:48 pm

You can start in Brussel. There are numerous breweries in the city itself. The special beer from there can only be brewed here, because it is made with spontaneous fermentation. So you can’t predict precisely how the beer will turn out, when it is tasted for the first time. I don’t think, you need more than a detailed traveler’s guide, and you can see, where the best beer is made. And of course all of them it the world’s best beer 🙂