The Lion and The Harbor

As the morning progressed, the weather got sunnier and especially warmer. So, we had the perfect excuse to go to the waterside! Lars and I went to the Wannsee.

The Wannsee actually consists of 2 lakes, the Little Wannsee and the Greater Wannsee and is situated in the southwest of Berlin. It is a very popular local bathing area with a big beach. This time, it took us a longer time to find a place to park the car.

Once Lars and I got out of the car, we went to the waterside. Our attention was immediately attracted by the statue of a lion. Not just any lion, because this is the Isted Lion, a war monument to celebrate the Danish victory over Schleswig-Holstein. This victory was obtained in the Battle of Isted (1850), hence the name of the statue. Originally, the monument was located in Flensburg, afterwards in Berlin and after World War II, it went to Copenhagen. The statue you see here is therefore a copy.

We were a bit excited by this unexpected piece of Danish history, but soon had a look at the small harbor, located a couple of meters beneath us. Pubs and restaurants were getting ready to receive their first customers. People were jogging or having a stroll.

• segmation August 21, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for blogging about this area. Love your pictures! http://www.segmation.wordpress.com

• fgh47 August 21, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Berlin and surroundings really are breathtaking. And all the history, there is in almost every street. We will surely come back, when we have the opportunity. The sky is the limit, that is, how I feel, when I am in Berlin.

• Vanessa Morgan August 21, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Congratulations! I’ll come and visit you soon 🙂

• fgh47 August 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Thank you, Vanessa. You will be very welcome. By the way, we have found creepy places for the creepy travels, which hopefully will interest you. Just call, and we can coordinate our calendars.

• Jae August 21, 2013 at 10:06 pm

I always know they’re your pictures before I can even scroll down to author in my feed. Soooo beautiful as always. Thanks for sharing your talent and travels with us!

• fgh47 August 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I thank on behalf of Ingrid. Yes, she really has a lucky hand with the camera

• martagajo August 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

Funny!!! I Just been there yesterday 😉 so I shot similar fotos 😉

• fgh47 August 22, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Really? So you liked it too? For us it was the first time to visit the Wannsee, even if I have been in Berlin some times.

• martagajo August 22, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Oh yes.. I like to go there with vistors, cause there are so many sights to see like the Villa of Max Liebermann with its adorable garden or Memorial The House of Wannsee Conference.. Even you can take a great “regular” bus ride through Grunewald to Peacock Island, which is great to and sooo much more 🙂 Only for go swimming I prefer to go to Schlachtensee 😉

• fgh47 August 22, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Ach so. Du bist eine Berlinerin. Sehr interessant. But maybe we should keep to English, so peopl don’t feel ignored. Actually we search a bit around to find the house of the Wannsee Konferenz. Just a memorial or so we would like to see. Thank you for the information. Allet Jute nach Berlin