How do you hug an animal that weighs between 650 – 700 kilos? Here are a couple of important rules:
- Cows are more afraid of you than you are of them.
- Approach a cow from the front. This is like human interaction; when you meet someone for the first time, you look at their face, not their behind, let alone slap their behind.
- Be calm and relaxed; animals can sense fear and the hugging won’t work.
- Look at the cow’s ears: if they are pointed backwards, they are relaxed.
- If you approach them and they go away, leave them alone. They are not in the mood to be hugged.
How to proceed? Meet dairy farmer Lars:
When you approach a cow, you actually invade her space. So move slowly and calmly. Then sit next to her:
Slowly start caressing her:
Keep on approaching the cow, while slowly caressing her. They like to be touched behind their ears and on their necks.
When the cow and you are both relaxed, you are ready for the next step: lie on the belly of the cow. It feels very warm and soft. Close your eyes and feel her breathing! And she will hug you back!